Search

Femas Protection Security

"Guarding Your Security"

Date

February 6, 2014

Gunmen kill 22 in fresh Plateau attack

gunmen

Twenty-two people were reportedly killed on Thursday in Mavo, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State by gunmen.

According to witnesses, the suspects stormed a Tarok community in Mavo at about2:00 a.m. and killed 22 people, injuring several others.

The state Commissioner of Police, Chris Olakpe, in a telephone interview, confirmed the attack but could not confirm the casualty figure.

“I have not been fully briefed on the number of deaths in the incident,” he said.

The Wase local government interim administrator, Zakari Haruna, also confirmed the attack but said the violence had been contained. He declined comment on the number of persons killed but said several houses were razed.

A security source, who spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not officially detailed to do so, told PREMIUM TIMES in a telephone interview that he counted 22 dead bodies with over 10 houses burnt down by the attackers

A victim of the attack, one Nangak, also narrated: “The attackers came to our village in their hundreds and started shooting sporadically, while we were still asleep.”

PREMIUM TIMES gathered that the incident created tension in Wase, headquarters of the council, as youth protesting the killings were attacked by security agents.

Wase has recently been ridden with conflicts between Taroks and Fulanis.

This latest attack came less than 48 hours after gunmen attacked some communities in Riyom Local Government Area, leaving about 30 people dead with no arrest made by security agencies.

Source: Premium Times

Army Has Beefed-Up Security in Lagos Over Alleged Threat By Terrorists, Says GOC

The Nigerian Army on Wednesday said it had initiated measures to boost its capacity to contain all forms of terrorism and insurgency in Lagos.

The General Officer Commanding (GOC) 81 Division, Nigerian Army, Maj.-Gen. Umahi Obi, said this at the inauguration of the 65 Battalion Alfa and Bravo Company Offices in Lagos.

The project was sponsored by Lt.-Gen. Theophilus Danjuma (rtd), under the leadership of the Commanding Officer, Lt.-Col. Haruna Dasuki.

Umahi’s declaration came in the wake of the recent security threat by the Boko Haram sect, threatening to infiltrate and unleash mayhem against military formations in Lagos.

“In the army, when we plan for operations or even when we take our threat analysis, we assume the worst case scenario in our plans and we plan from that point of strength.

“We come up with contingencies to deal with the worst situations and if the situation is lighter, it makes it easier for us in terms of executing it.

“So, we are prepared for any manner of scenario and we are dressing up for it,” he said.

The GOC said notwithstanding, the upper hand by the military, they would not lower their guards.

He said that if anything happens anywhere in the country, they would be proactive enough to tackle it.

While admitting knowledge of the rumours making the rounds on alleged plans by the Boko Haram sect to attack military formations, he said the services were in top gear to counter such attacks.

“We are aware of the rumour of an attack making the rounds but there is nothing concrete as yet to substantiate it.

“But the information available, either at a rumour or intelligence level, would not be wished away; rather we would factor it in our contingency plans.

“We don’t arrest for the fun of it; rather, because we have concrete evidence that there is a link between the suspects and terrorism.

“We have not made any arrests recently but if we see the need to make any arrests, we will do so,” he said.

While commending Danjuma, he said the Transformation Agenda in the army was not a mere talk-shop.

He said the programme represents action backed by action, pointing out that anyone that has not imbibed the attitudinal change has not keyed into the agenda.

Earlier, Dasuki said that Danjuma bought into the idea because the unit was not empowered financially to take up such a huge project.

However, Danjuma, who was represented by the former GOC, 81 Division, Maj.-Gen. Abdul Tanko (rtd), called on the current Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah, to be focused.

He said Minimah should also carry everybody along, in order to succeed.

“I know that the new COAS, would do well, having worked under me as a Battalion Commander.

“I urge him to be focussed and to ensure he carries everyone along.

“It is also imperative that he does not work in isolation because the Armed Forces work and cooperate with others in other to succeed,” he added. (NAN)

Security Expert Raises Alarm Over Use of Convoys By Terrorists

Renowned security expert, Dr. Ona Ekhomu, yesterday, raised an alarm over the use of convoys by terrorists who were being mistaken for politicians in some northern states of the country.

Consequently, he called for a ban on political campaign convoys in the affected states until the terrorists were rooted out.

Ekhomu also urged the military to invent new strategies, such as deploying ‘force multipliers,’ including specialised security tips hotlines, customised intelligence operations, perception management, and aerial rapid response in the war against terrorist attacks, if the April deadline set by the Chief of Defence Staff must be met.

Ekhomu, who spoke in Lagos, described the recent terrorist attacks in a Catholic Church in Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa State, and four other local government areas of Borno State, as brazen and deadly.

According to him, the terrorists have shown adaptive capacity by choosing to carry out stealth attacks in communities, villages and towns in these areas, while avoiding military patrols that tended to concentrate on the highways.

Source: Vanguard

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑